Saturday 3 March 2012

49 Mercury Custom WIP #2

With the other ongoing projects, I have only just got around to taking some photos of the Mercury project. This is a little problem I have, too many projects on the go at the same time which causes a few projects to be forgotten about for a while. 

Now back to the Mercury. The main reason it has come to a stop for a little while is the fact I am trying to work out which way this project is going to progress. I have a few ideas in my head, one concerning the paint job but before I settle for this idea, I will first test out my theory to see if it will work. Other ideas are to change things like the exhaust system, do I fit modern style rims or keep to the retro styles wheels that come with the kit! Interior colour schemes, chassis and engine colours are other things I am trying to work out too, you know how it goes.

So to wet your appetite on this project, here are a few photos I have just taken of the work carried out so far. 


This kit comes with a complete chassis assembly, unlike most car kits that will have it moulded to the underfloor assembly. This will make things easier for adding fuel and brake lines to the model. The engine has good and solid mounting points to the chassis. Detail on the engine is very good and has plenty of potential for adding extra detailing items to it.


The floor section has the interior sides, seats and dashboard fixed to it along with the bulkhead and front inner wings. Once this section is finished, it mounts on location point on the chassis positioning it correctly.



Now onto the bodyshell. This is one of the nicest and cleanest body mouldings I have seen, there was only a few fine mould lines on it that were removed without any trouble. The kit comes wit a choice of two bonnets, the stock one and the other with louvres in it. Other options for the body include a choice of bumpers, grills and other various parts.



Here is the chassis, interior and bodyshell dry fitted together. Once I have made my decision on which way this project is going, it will be onwards with the work on it. There are two other custom cars in my on-hold shelf, a 53 Chevrolet BelAir and a 53 Ford F100 Pick-up. All three of these cars will look great together when completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment