Firstly, Kyran's Iron Man figure was the main aim of my attention just so it was finished for him, otherwise he would keep pestering to finish it, just like I get the odd comment from him about finishing his Dr Who Tardis model!
Well, the construction passed without any problems, except for the ones I caused myself. The worst one was forgetting to fit the rear body panel to the torso before adding the two side panels. When I realised I had done this, it was time to loosen the side panels with some liquid glue to give me enough clearance to side the rear panel in. This worked on one side, but the other decided to split a little in the process. Once the rear panel was in place, the damaged side panel was glued back in place then repaired with some Green Stuff and sanded smooth. The repair job cannot be seen after painting.
The figure was constructed into the main potions of the body, torso, head, arms, legs and guns. This was to make painting the figure easier then if it was all fully assembled. These parts all received a coat of primer and any areas of joint lines or marks were dealt with and re-primed. The instructions said that the colour was dark metallic grey, of which was not in my stock of paints. In the end, I mixed Tamiya's X-18 Semi Gloss Black with XF-56 Metallic Grey to a 50/50 ratio. Once I was satisfied with the colour, it was thinned down and several light coats were sprayed over all of the figures parts. A few panels are silver on the figure, so I used Tamiya's XF-16 Aluminium for this as it looked the right colour and finish in my opinion. The last areas to be painted before assembly were the eyes, chest light and hand blasters (or what ever they're called!), first with some white paint then the edges with some thinned down clear red.
The figure was now assembled, first the legs to the torso then stood on the base to make sure they dry in the correct position. This was followed by the arms, head, arm mounted machine guns, rocket launcher and Gatling gun. The last part of the kit to be assembled was the ammo feed belt for the Gatling gun. This came in several parts and I had decided earlier in the build to wait until the figure was built and the gun was in position. So the fiddly process of building the belt began and after a hour, once the glue had dried, the belt was removed from the figure and sprayed with some Tamiya X-10 Gun Metal then glued into position once it had dried.
The base was given a coat of grey before a wash of a darker grey. The cracks received a wash of black which was allowed to run along the cracks to highlight them. Before painting the edge of the base with matt black, I gave the surface a dusting with some weathering powders to look like dust thrown up when the surface broke up. The same powders were used on the lower legs on the figure to.
For my first figure in this scale, I was happy with it. But more importantly, Kyran was extremely happy with it.