Saturday 29 October 2011

MiG-31 Foxhound WIP #1

This is a little project that I've been building at work when I've got some time to waste whilst waiting around, as some of my other projects are either too big to take to work or at the stage of build that I cannot take it. It was picked up at the last show I went to as a spur of the moment purchase and it was on a fiver, a bargain I think!





The kit is not too bad, but the instructions are not for this exact kit, I think the tooling must have been changed but not the instructions. It's the first time I've built a kit by ICM, and for the price it's okay. The general details okay, but there are some fitting and aligning issues with some parts. The first one is the cockpit interior parts are different in the kit from the instructions, so I had to work out the right way to assemble and mount it to the fuselage section.




I have needed to do some filing, sanding and filling on quite a few areas on the fuselage where parts don't match up properly. these include the cockpit fuselage section to the rear fuselage section, the main wings to the fuselage and the air intakes.





It surprised me how big this aircraft is when I started to assemble it, it is a little longer then the Intruder I'm working on presently. With all of the filling and sanding that's been done on the model so far, a few of the panel lines will need to be re-scribed prior to painting. Also, as there is really no interior detail, the cockpit canopies will be closed making painting easier.


More updates later.

No comments:

Post a Comment