Saturday 26 January 2013

"End Of An Era" Project

"End Of An Era"
BAe Canberra PR9 39 Sqdn Retirement



In 2006, the RAF 39 Sqdn retired their three BAe Canberra PR9's from service after returning from their final deployment overseas. These three PR9's were the last remaining Canberra's in service with the RAF, but it was also the end of 39 Squadron to.


A couple of years ago, I built the Airfix 1/72nd scale Canberra PR9 kit as I had picked up some aftermarket decals for aircraft number XH135 to do various schemes used from the 1980's. One took my attention, the half Hemp and half ATRF Grey finish, which became the project back then. 

BAe Canberra PR9 XH135 

BAe Canberra PR9 XH135

BAe Canberra PR9 XH135


I have always wanted to complete the line-up of the three aircraft and this is now happening. Last year, I picked up two sets of aftermarket decals for XH134's scheme with the commemorative tail-art in both 1/72nd and 1/48th scales. The 1/48th scale aircraft will be a later project with plenty of extra added detail. So over the last few months, I have purchased two more Airfix 1/72nd scale PR9's to complete the line up. So, a few days ago, I started building XH134 whilst at work. Once this is at the stage where I cannot carry on with it at work and it has to be continued at home, I will start on XH131 at work and continue with XH134 at home. I will start the WIP posts for XH134 later today.


No comments:

Post a Comment