Saturday 27 April 2013

"End Of An Era" Dio WIP #2

Sorry for the lack of posts, but due to a succession of last finishes at work, busy weekends and ModelKraft last weekend, any spare time has been spent on any modelling.

Now for an update on this project. I am not too far away from completing the "End Of An Era" diorama. The first two photos you will see below were taken when the base was in the early stages of painting. The concrete apron had been painted and the sections joints drawn out with the tarmac standing area to the rear painted to. The next stage to be done  was the taxing lines, general weathering and cracks in the concrete panels before painting the edge and adding the scenic scatter grass around the edges of the standing area. Even at this stage, the base was coming to life.



Following Sunday's first showing of this diorama at ModelKraft on the club stand at which it attracted a fair bit of interest, including one gentleman who use to be on of the ground crew for XH131 when the aircraft were retired. The feedback I was getting from visitors to the show was positive and they liked the idea of my display. I also picked up a RAF MD300 Tractor from Hannants to sit on the base to add more life to the scene.

Now onto Wednesday night. Due to the position I displayed the diorama on the club stand and the lighting there, the membership could not really see it properly, plus a few of the figures still needed painting. So I brought the display up on club night and set it up with the now painted figures. I am glad this was done in 1/72nd scale as the base is one metre long, just think how big it would have been in 1/48th scale! 

All of the figures and vehicles were placed on the base, including the MD300 Tractor which needs building and painting, I just pushed the white metal wheels into position on the resin body. I was surprised how big this tractor was when I first got it, my first thought was "It is 1/48th scale?", but no, it is 1/72nd scale. Once this is painted, I might add a few more figures to the base, the refueller needs a hose being carried by a figure to the aircraft. The generator also needs some cables lying around on the ground to. But these are just a few little details that can be added over the next month or two.

So, here are a few photos I took on Wednesday night with my phone. Sorry for the quality of them, but they were taken on the spur of the moment.




XH135

XH135

XH134

XH134

XH131

XH131



No comments:

Post a Comment