Wednesday 1 January 2014

Fairey Gannet AS.Mk.1/4 WIP #1

This project, a quick one out of the box that I started whilst at the IPMS(UK) Nationals at Telford back in November. It has been a little slower then I planned, but with the so called Christmas rush at work slowed my modelling time down a little over the last month. I always wanted to get one of these Gannets as I have memories of my Dad building one when I was a kid,. This memory has always stuck in my head and I wanted to build one myself in a similar scheme and marking. So being my usual self,  I brought two of the same kits to build.

The kit is the Trumpter 1/72nd scale model of the Gannet AS.Mk.1/4 in two Royal Navy and one West German Navy markings. It is a bit basic in the cockpit details and there has been a few issues about the parts lining up properly in a few areas, but as all of us modeller do, we work around these problems. I have needed to us some filler in a few areas on the fuselage, but the biggest problem was trying to get the bubble canopies of the cockpits to fit. These all sat too high and had gaps at the front and rear joints. It took a bit of time to sort this out, but I got there in the end. The scheme I will painting this model is of aircraft  XA322/711-Cu of 769 Sqdn based at RNAS Culdrose during 1957.

The following photos have been taken over the last few days during painting and adding the decals to her which happened tonight. Tomorrow, a couple of coats of clear will be done to seal them and it is onwards with more painting, then onto final assembly. And as usual, with it being a working aircraft, she will have some weathering done to her. More posts later on the Gannet.







No comments:

Post a Comment