This Revell kit had been eyeing me up from the cupboard for a few months begging me to start on it. So last month it won me over and I got it out and started building it. The kit is a straight forwards, uncomplicated 1/72nd model with basic cockpit detail. So far, it has gone together without any hitches and progressed fairly quickly when I manage to work on it. As normal, the fuselage is split in half along the length, but this kit is also tooled with the front and rear sections of the fuselage as separate halves to. Not sure why as the model is not that big in this scale.
Below, the first photo is from test fitting the model together, which show that the fit of the parts were very good and I knew there would be the minimal amount of filling required later. This example of the kit dates back from 2008, though I do not know when the original tooling was done, but the panel lines and joints are very clean and precise.
The next photo is once the wings and tail plane have been glued to the fuselage. I must say that the amount of filling actually done to this model was minimal, which was very pleasing to have a model like this on the table. It is not often this happens with the lower price band of kits.
Now a quick jump to the photos taken yesterday evening. The canopy and nose glass got masked up and glued in place before giving the model a couple of coats of white primer. I first gave the undercarriage bays a couple of coats of Tamiya's XF-22 RLM Grey. The instruction said to paint them Light Olive, but my tub of this had dried up and the Tamiya colour was the closest I had in my draws. These areas were masked up and the whole model received a few coats of Mr Hobby's RLM76 Light Blue. Once this colour was dry, the camouflage pattern was done using Mr Hobby's RLM75 Grey. That was the stage I was at last night when the photos were taken. So far today, the model has been given a coat of Johnsons Klear and I have started laying down the decals on the model. More to come soon.