Saturday 14 November 2015

Atlantic Fleet Squadrons F-14A Tomcat WIP #1

I have been debating on what to do next. Shall I start on the SWS P-51 Mustang? Or shall I finish off another old project?

Well, I have decided to go for the latter and dug old this Hasegawa 1/48th scale F-14A Tomcat. I picked this up at in the kitswap at Telford a few years back. It had already been started to the point of part of the main fuselage and wings were assembled. The flaps had been glued in the close position along with the airbrakes on the tail. So that was a little disappointment. Generally, it has been built to an okay standard. Some of the things that have been done by the person that started her are not what I would have done, but this is the risk you take when buying second-hand, part built kits. All I can do is try and rectify some of these things, the ones I cannot, will have to stay as they are.  

So far, I have assembled the seats, the main undercarriage bays, part of the undercarriage and the deflectors in the air intakes. So now it is time to get her finished. Some of the panel lines have filler in them, so these need cleaning out and a couple of areas need repairing or cleaning up from glue marks. The next stage of building will be painting and building the air intakes before fixing them to the fuselage. I also need to redo some of the filling in a couple of places on the fuselage, they have not been done properly.




No comments:

Post a Comment