Wednesday 9 May 2018

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb "Scramble"


This is the old Aifix tooling from the 1970's, which had originally been started by my grandson's friend who lost interest in it after one day. So as it was lying around, I decided to not let it go to waste and finish it off. 

I wanted to do something different and first decided to have the Spitfire flying. But this had been done so many times, so I went down a different path and had the aircraft taking off after a Scramble. Construction was as normal, par the instructions. But I did a few cuts on the wings and rudder to position the aerolons, tail-planes and rudder as if the aircraft was doing a steep climb and turn. The undercarriage was altered to represent the struts retracting into the wings after taking off. I had thought about motorising the prop, but then realised that it did not warrant the cost of the motor for this model, so after a few attempts, I used a disc of clear acetate and painted the spinning blades on it . These will do for now, but I may replace it with either a better version of it or some photo etched ones instead.

The model was painted using Alclad 2's Mil-Spec paints and one of the kit decal options, sealed with Alclad's flat clear. I mounted the model on a length of acrylic rod glued to a hole in the underside of the fuselage which was then glued to a piece of routered MDF. The base was stained, varnished and the top was finished with some scenic scatter before mounting the aircraft to it. A quick build for an old kit to have a break in-between some other project, but with a little bit of imagination added to it.







No comments:

Post a Comment