Saturday, 24 May 2014

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.22

This was a quick build done to try and break the modelling block I was going through over the last few months. My plan was for it to be done in a matter of a couple of weeks, but guess what, it took over a month to complete.

The kit was one of Hannants Xtrakit models from MPM tooling in 1/72nd scale. Nothing fancy about the kit, but a lack of location pins made it a little bit more fun to build. The Mk.22 was built straight out of the box and I chose to do the camouflage scheme instead of one of the all-over silver schemes in the options. on the painting side, the main paints used were from the Xtracrylix range of colours, as per the instructions. I also used some paints from the Revell, Tamiya and Mr Hobby ranges. Instead of airbrushing the camouflage scheme, I went back to old school and hand brushed the entire model only airbrushing the clear at the end. Doing this brought back some great memories building models as a kid before the days of owning airbrushes, fun times.

During the final assembly, I drilled out the exhaust openings to improve their look prior to painting them. But when I came to fitting them in place on the fuselage, I discovered one of them had gone missing, the dreaded carpet monster had struck again! So some Quickboost Mk.22 exhausts for the Airfix kit were purchased, painted and then glued in place before the dreaded monster got hold of these ones. 

So, here she is. Nothing fancy, just back to basic modelling I did as a teenager. Looking at her, I think it needs a little more weathering to finish it off, but not alot though.

No comments:

Post a Comment