Sunday 13 January 2019

North American P-51C Mustang

We all have our favourite aircraft from certain periods of time. My two from WWII are the Spitfire and the Mustang, of which I have several models of both aircraft in various scale in my stash.

This model is the Academy 1/72nd scale kit of the P-51C Mustang. I admit, it is not on the par of the current Airfix tooling of the Mustang, but that is a P-51D version. They did do a P-51B which dates back to the 1970's I think and I do have an example of this kit in my stash, but I doubt the decals will be any good in that now.

Anyhow, back to this build. This project was a quick build I did at the end of 2017, mainly to clear my head after Telford and to prepare myself for the three builds ahead for a club competition. Construction of this kit was nice and easy, not issues from what I can remember. The fuselage halves lined up with minimal differences resulting in just minor clean up of the joints. As with all Mustang kits, just like in the real world, the main wing assembly is built as a separate unit which bolts straight to the underside of the fuselage. Again, there was minimal gaps between the joints of the wings and fuselage needing only a tiny bit of filler to clean up.

Painting I went for the all over silver with yellow tail scheme. I cannot remember which squadron and fighter group this aircraft was from, as I have mislaid the kits instruction sheet somewhere. But when I find them, I will update the details on here. In all, a nice model to build and it looks great sitting alongside the other two 72nd scale Mustangs I have built so far. There are still some more in the stash to join them yet. If you do see this kit on a traders stand or in a shop, pick it up for yourself, you cannot go wrong with it.








No comments:

Post a Comment